A principal at Bluesky Strategy Group, Susan Smith has been providing private sector and public sector clients with strategic communications, public affairs and media relations advice and coaching for more than 20 years.
From the film and television sector to international transportation companies, First Nations, health care, science and clean technology, sports and political sectors, Susan has advised CEO’s, Cabinet Ministers, leaders of organizations and officials on how to creatively and effectively craft and present their messages to achieve their communications goals. Susan’s clients have included government departments, national associations, global and domestic companies, government-funded organizations and local organizations in sectors including health care, aboriginal affairs, environment, agricultural, film and television and not-for-profit.
Some of her clients include:
- Bombardier Inc.,
- The Canadian Council of Chief Executives,
- The Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Innovation,
- Rx and D,
- the Canada Media Fund,
- the Canadian Film and Television Production Association,
- Telefilm Canada,
- The Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television,
- The Calgary International Film Festival,
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada,
- The Assembly of First Nations,
- The First Nations Statistical Institute,
- COMDEV Inc,
- the Canadian Construction Association,
- Hockey Canada,
- The Canadian International Hockey Academy,
- The Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner,
- The Office of the Auditor General,
- The Office of the Environment Commissioner, and
- The Canadian Heart and Stroke Association.
Prior to the founding of Bluesky Strategy Group, Susan worked in senior communications capacities with several other national public relations firms, including heading her own practice in Calgary. She also served as the Communications Advisor to the Federal Minister of Transport and the Minister of Human Resources Development.
Susan is a co-Founder of Canada 2020, a non-partisan progressive think tank, whose outputs began with a June 2006 launch conference with held in Mont Tremblant, QC that featured Vice-President Al Gore, economist Jeffrey Sachs and other prominent speakers. Since 2006, Susan and Canada 2020 have brought leading thought leaders to Canada including Nobel Prize-winner, Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, Salman Rushdie, Wired Magazine’s Chris Anderson, author Tim Flannery, former US Treasury Secretary Bob Rubin, historian and author Niall Ferguson, Chinese economist Fan Gang, African economist Dambisa Moyo, Martin Wolfe, Larry Summers and John Podesta. Susan is active in all aspects of Canada 2020 agenda design, conference planning and execution.
A veteran of coaching people to appear on-air, Susan has also appeared regularly as a pundit and media and public relations commentator on CBC News Network, Power and Politics, CTV News Channel, CPAC, as well as radio and print throughout the country. She is a bilingual graduate of Queen’s University, and a Senator’s hockey fan.